Chelsea are reportedly looking to make a significant investment in a young midfielder, and remain strongly linked to Benfica’s Enzo Fernandez as well as Moises Caicedo of Brighton and Hove Albion.
Fernandez, 22, burst onto the world stage as he forced his way into Argentina’s starting XI en route to their 2022 World Cup victory, earning the Best Young Player honour in Qatar in the process.
Meanwhile, 21-year-old Caicedo has looked right at home in his second Premier League season, starting in all 18 of his appearances this campaign to help propel Brighton up to a surprising sixth on the table.
With Jorginho’s future at Chelsea up in the air and fellow 31-year-old N’Golo Kante having not played since August due to a serious hamstring injury, Chelsea are looking for a long-term solution in the centre of the park – and are once again willing to pay up.
TOP STORY – CHELSEA SET TO RETURN WITH FRESH OFFERS FOR FERNANDEZ AND CAICEDO
According to Portuguese publication Record, Chelsea will attempt to secure Fernandez before the end of January, but are aware Benfica will not budge below the player’s £106million (€120m) release clause.
The Guardian adds an improved offer for Caicedo “remains a possibility” after their recent bid of £55m was rejected by Brighton, although it is now believed the Seagulls are “scouring the market for potential replacements” for the Ecuador international.
Caicedo is not the only Brighton player their former head coach, now Chelsea boss, Graham Potter has fond memories of, also enquiring about 24-year-old midfielder and Fernandez’s Argentinian team-mate Alexis Mac Allister.
– Talksport is reporting Newcastle United have interest in 21-year-old Everton forward Anthony Gordon as a replacement for Chris Wood after the big striker left on loan to Nottingham Forest.
– According to Sky Sports Germany’s Florian Plettenberg, Manchester United have been put off by Napoli’s £88m (€100m) asking price for 24-year-old striker Victor Osimhen and will seek a cheaper alternative.
– Jude Bellingham is expected to reject the latest contract extension offer from Borussia Dortmund, and, per the Daily Star, five clubs will be competing for his services via transfer: Manchester City, United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Real Madrid.
– The Athletic is reporting Bournemouth are working on an offer of £17.5m (€20m) plus add-ons for 21-year-old Villarreal forward Nicolas Jackson, who is also a Southampton target.
– After rejecting approaches from Aston Villa, Fulham and Bournemouth, Juventus midfielder Weston McKennie could get his wish to head to a top club as Arsenal have reportedly entered the race for the £22m-rated (€25m) United States international, per Gazzetta dello Sport.